1. Preheat the oven to 350* grease a bunt pan well. In the mixing bowl of a large stand mixer cream together butter and sugar.
2. Add each egg one at a time, beating lightly after each egg is added.
3. Add the baking powder, salt and 1 cup of flour. Mix well.
4. Add the eggnog. Mix well again.
5. Add the remaining 2 cups of flour. Mix well, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
6. Pour batter into prepared bunt pan. Smooth with a rubber spatula in necessary to make a smooth surface. Bake at 350* for 1hour to 1hour and 15 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow the cake to cool until the bottom of the pan is comfortable to touch. Gently invert the cake to completely detach the cake from the pan, but leave the cake in the pan, in later steps the butter rum glaze will be poured down the sides of the pan to allow the cake to soak up.
8. To prepare the butter rum glaze add sugar and water to a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Add the butter to the mixture. The butter will melt but not fully disolve into the mixture. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil for about 4 min. stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the rum. Simmer for an additional min.
9. Pour the butter rum glaze down the sides of the bunt pan, around the center ring of the pan, and on the exposed bottom of the cake. Allow the cake to rest in the pan, sitting in the glaze for 15-20 min. so the cake can absorb the glaze. After 15-20 min invert on to a plate or serving dish.
1. In a small saucepan (it’s ok to use the same pan from the glaze) over medium low heat add butter, eggnog and powdered sugar. Melt all ingredients together stir frequently to prevent burning. The icing will be fairly thick.
2. Remove from the heat and drizzle over the cake as desired.
I use pre-made eggnog that comes fresh from my local dairy, it is very rich and creamy and that really makes the cake come out well. I tried a version with a low-fat version they make as well, the cake also came out very well this way too. You can use eggnog available at the grocery store to good effect as well.