Life has been feeling kind of rough lately. It’s been busy. (I know I’m preaching to the choir here.) Unfortunately, it seems like on top of being busy, the whole family has been under the weather. Nothing that’s the end of the world, really just an endless cold. Coughs, runny noses, congestion, that kind of thing. But, for some reason the busy/sick combo really packs a one two punch and takes it out of you. I find that when I’m sick, busy, and tired, I start craving comfort food. I imagine the rest of you are with me on this one?
As anyone knows me, either in person, or by blog, can attest to I’m a serious pasta lover. In my opinion (and you know I’m right), pasta is the ultimate comfort food. It can be made light and bright for spring and summer, or rich and heavy for winter, and even somewhere in between for fall. But, however you make it, pasta is comforting. All that to say, it’s been a comfort food kind of week which = double pasta this week on the blog (in addition to double pasta in my kitchen)!
As you can probably guess most of my favorite recipes already on the site are pasta recipes. But, guys this one is my new favorite of the favorites! Though incredibly simple, this recipe will really knock your socks off. Spaghetti in a super quick creamy parmesan sauce is tasty all on it’s own. But, it’s the brown butter bread crumbs that take the dish over the top. The contrast of textures, the crunchy verses the creamy just works. Plus, um, who doesn’t like browned butter? Yeah, I thought so. Serious comfort food, perfect for fall my friends.
Also three more super awesome points about this dish I should point out:
- You probably keep all the ingredients you need for the recipe on hand (i.e. you can make this for dinner tonight)
- This recipe can be made in about 15 minutes.
- And it’s pretty kid friendly, so the whole house will eat without fuss!
So however busy you’ve been, if you’re sick or well, whatever your day has been like, pour a glass of your favorite wine, throw on some music, relax and because you’ll have dinner on the table in no time.
Creamy Parmesan Spaghetti With Brown Butter Bread Crumbs
- 1lb pasta
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
1. In a large pot cook pasta following the boxes al dente directions. The directions will usually give a range of al dente cook time, for example 7-8mintes for whole grain spaghetti. Select the lower number as the pasta will sit in its sauce for a bit and soften up (ex. 7).
2. Meanwhile, heat a medium sized skillet to medium-high. Add the butter to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Allow the butter to cook until brown. Add the panko, rosemary, garlic, sea salt, and black pepper to the pan, stir well to combine. Toast the bread crumbs in the browned butter until the crumbs are golden brown. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Remove the bread crumbs from the heat once toasted.
3. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Keep the pot on low heat. Add the chicken broth, parmesan, and cream to the pasta string well to combine. Allow the pasta to remain on the heat until the cheese is fully melted into the pasta. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
4. Serve the pasta hot, topping liberally with toasted bread crumbs.