1 loaf of cinnamon bread (I like Greenlee’s or homemade, but Cinnabon or any other cinnamon bread will work fine.)
1 tablespoon sugar to sprinkle the top
1. Prepare a 9 X 12 casserole dish by greasing heavily. If your cinnamon bread isn’t pre sliced, prepare by slicing into standard sized slices.
2. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and 4 tablespoons of sugar. Whisk well so eggs become lightly fluffy and all ingredients mix well. Dip each slice of cinnamon bread front and back into the egg mixture and line up in the pan in two rows slightly overlapping each layer. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread. Set aside.
3. In a new small bowl mix together cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, and vanilla. Mix very well. Drop the cream cheese mixture in dollops over the top of the french toast.
4. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. This allows the bread to soak up more of the egg mixture. (If you really don’t have time for this step, you can still bake right away though refrigeration improves the final result.)
5. When ready to bake heat over to 350* and bake strata until the egg sets and the top is lightly browned. Aprox 55-65 min. If the top begins to over brown before the eggs are fully set cover with foil for the remainder of the cook time.